Reflections on the Atonement of Jesus Christ

Image
It is a tenant of our faith that “We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” ( AF 1:3 ). Yea, the Atonement was wrought for all of us, and there are none that do not have access to it; for, “God is no respecter of persons” ( Acts 10:34 ) and “he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female… all are alike unto God” ( 2 Ne 26:33 ). “For Jesus died on Calvary, that all thru Him might ransomed be” ( Hymn 177 , emphasis added). Indeed, Jesus Christ, Himself, speaking of His Atonement said, “For, behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all” ( D&C 19:16 ). He atoned for you and He atoned for me; He atoned for everyone. There is no one too far gone, no one too shrouded in sin, no one past the point of no return. We all fall short; we are all imperfect; we are all at the mercy of His Atonement. That’s why we are here; that’s why we partake of the sacram

The Christmas Story


For me, Christmas is a time for reflection. I reflect on the Supreme Gift that our Father in Heaven has given us. I reflect on the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. I reflect on how I can more fully be His disciple. I reflect on the Christmas Story and how I can apply the lessons therein to my life. This Christmas in particular, I thought about Joseph. I put myself in his shoes. What would it have been like to know that I was chosen to raise the Son of God? How apprehensive would I have been? What a sacred trust! Surely he felt that weight rest more and more upon his shoulders with each step towards Bethlehem. And then when that holiest of nights came, all he could muster was a stable for shelter and a manger for a bed. How he must have felt: the feelings of inadequacy, of not measuring up, of failing to provide. I say this not to beat up on Joseph. Joseph was a great man, and I admire Joseph. I speculate on this because that’s how I would have felt. And yet, everything happened as Heavenly Father designed. There was no room in the inn, not due to Joseph’s inadequacy, but rather, because Heavenly Father’s plan dictated that the King of Kings be born in a stable and laid in a manger. This was the sign given to the shepherds in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night: “And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger” (Luke 2:12).

I have had a similar experience in my own life a few years ago. I used to work for a carpet cleaning company, but due to the state of the economy and need to cut business costs, I was laid off. I immediately tuned up my resume and went job hunting. I filled out hundreds of online applications a week. I went to several interviews, but never got a call back. The bills piled up, and my family could no longer afford our cramped one-bedroom apartment. We moved into my grandparent-in-laws’ basement, where I continued my job search–to no avail. I felt much as I imagine Joseph felt. I was unable to provide, a disgrace, a failure. Asking my wife’s grandparents for help was one of the hardest conversations I’ve had to have because I was admitting to my failures and my inability to care for my own family. It was a low point in my life, perhaps the lowest.

Finally, my wife and I walked into the Navy Recruiter’s office. I had thought about military service before as most of my family has served or is serving in the military. At first, we only wanted to talk about options, but as more time passed and more and more businesses turned me down, we decided to join. Five years later, the blessings are tremendous. We have two beautiful children; we own a home, have two cars, and are self-sufficient. Now that I look back, just as with the Christmas story, I see God’s handiwork. He steered me to the Navy, just as he steered Joseph and Mary to the stable that night so long ago. So if my story, or Joseph’s story sound familiar to experiences in your life, remember just one thing. He is at the helm of our ships of life. We only need to stop kicking against the rudder and have faith in His plan and that He will steer us where He needs us to go. Or more simply put: be ye believing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to President Thomas S. Monson, A Navy Veteran

Heeding a Prophet's Voice

Goal Setting in 2018